Filing A Suit That Affects Your Parent-Child Relationship (SAPCR)?

If your relationship with your child or a child you have been caring for is in flux for any reason, you may find legal answers through a suit affecting the parent-child relationship (SAPCR).

To Protect A Child's Best Interests In Special Family Circumstances

You may wonder how to protect your parental rights in view of the dissolution of the partnership with your child's other parent (the "baby momma" or "baby daddy" of your child). You may be a grandparent, a stepparent, a foster parent or a family member or friend who has actual care, control and possession of a child. You may be a minor seeking access to a sibling who is in the custody of someone who is not your parent.

In any of these or similar circumstances, a SAPCR may be the best way to put the most appropriate legal protections in place for yourself and the child. A variety of circumstances may lead to a SAPCR, including:

  • Separation of domestic partners who had children together but never married
  • Separation of a husband and wife — father and mother — who do not intend to divorce yet
  • Determination of child custody and visitation for parents who have never lived together
  • Formalization of a nurturing, care-giving relationship between a grandparent and a child or any other family member serving in a parental role

Bring A SAPCR Or Oppose One Filed By Someone Else

Whatever your relationship to the child in question, you can find direction and assistance with the help of an experienced family law attorney. I invite you to consult with me, child custody lawyer Gary Knapp in McKinney. I serve clients throughout Collin County and the North Dallas area. You may be the biological parent of a child named in a SAPCR case, seeking advocacy to protect your parental rights. I can help you gather evidence needed to oppose another person's SAPCR filed with a family law court.

Contact A Texas Family Law Attorney Today

Call 214-717-6445 or send an email message through this website to schedule an appointment with a caring, experienced Texas family law attorney about your pending or potential SAPCR case.